The Creeper Of Waverley Hills!

Harold Wood claims he was at Waverly Hills Sanatorium on the fateful August morning when the entity known as The Creeper first made its appearance. The shadow creature, considered by some as demonic, brings with it a feeling of foreboding and doom. Harold’s account reads like the treatment of a fictional horror film, yet he swears it is true. I’ll let you be the judge. This is Harold’s story.

How does one come forward with such an event without facing harsh ridicule, laughter and glares? During that time, not one employee working inside the Wood Haven dared talk about such things for fear of being discredited.

It is no secret that the Waverly Hills Sanatorium in Louisville, Kentucky is known to be the most haunted sanatorium of them all.

I never believed in all that paranormal stuff. My wife and I are devout Christians and we just do not believe in such things. However, I most certainly do now.

The Creeper is a real tangible entity. A small group of us had the vision of this terrifying black image burned into our subconscious forever and evermore. There is no erasing this event from our minds of what we witnessed inside the ECT (electroconvulsive therapy) treatment room that cool August morning back in 1967. Those of us who were nonbelievers soon became believers concerning the paranormal, and we would never be the same again. Most took this encounter to their graves.

Keep in mind, we were — and even still are — afraid of that entity’s long reach.

All but one nurse, who, without bad intent, let the cat out of the bag when her daughter made the fatal mistake of copying and posting the child’s Wood Haven case file on facebook for a friend to read. This was a very private, personal file her mother had stolen and kept hidden for over 50 years. However, the story is out and there is no turning back.

As of August, 2015, I have been reading quite a few articles about the the child Richard, alias Shadow Eyes, on the web. I expected ridicule, not support from everyone. Nevertheless, much to my surprise, many have shown support and have much fascination with the story concerning The Creeper.

As an old man reaching 96, it’s time I share what I know of that day way back in 1967.

Richard arrives

I had been working part-time on the fourth floor as a nurse’s aid and became good friends with Nurse Wilson and Nurse Holland during that time. I also knew Albert Bordinaro, the director, for a long while. I clearly remember the events in that room as if they happened yesterday.

I will only address this one paranormal incident, for there were too many to cover. And I won’t be discussing any abuse that took place upon the child that week. I hand no hand in that back then, and I want no part of that now.

Everything changed inside the entire sanatorium the very minute that the child Richard walked into the building. It was very perplexing to say the least. We were put out by the amount of squawking crows that morning, flying all around the child as he stepped out of that black Plymouth. Those crows numbered in the thousands and were flying landing all over the Waverly.

I met Richard in the office when they took his ID picture. The terror the child was feeling at the time was quite apparent to us all. For being such a little lad, he had a strong presence. He seemed to me much like a cherub, and I felt he was what we called back then, an “old soul.” He was a beautiful little boy, polite, always replying with a “yes, sir,” or “yes, ma’am.” He never said a word to the men unless asked a question. He was very gentle, and moved and walked about quietly, much like a cat. Eventually, he would come to be known affectionately as Shadow Eyes.

I remember the child made eye contact with all of us briefly. He avoided looking at us men folk mostly. His glare — those penetrating green eyes — still resonate with me today. The child had a strong distrust of men; his eyes alone told the story. Richard was able to see right through us men folk, read our minds like an open book. From then on, I stayed clear of his gaze, making sure to never have direct eye contact with him.

The shock therapy

The first time I saw the smelly black entity known as The Creeper was on August 23, 1967 at around 10:30 a.m. Richard was wheeled into the room for his second ECT and strapped down on the table. There were two doctors from outside the sanatorium, whom I had never seen before, one male nurse, one male orderly and one female nurse. I overheard the doctors discussing upping the voltage on the ECT machine, way too much for a little child to endure.

I feel that may have triggered the whole event. When they hit the on switch, and the electricity hit the child and he let out a scream that was so loud and ear piercings it gave me a headache. The child spit out his rubber mouth guard, and then things only worsened for him then. Dr. Buckman slapped the child in the face and scolded him for spitting out his rubber guard onto the floor.

When he slapped that boy in the face, the atmosphere changed quickly. The look in Richard’s eyes was pure rage. I had never seen such a look from a child before. He was directing his gaze right at Dr. Buckman. His face turned blood red, sweat poured from the child, the veins in his neck and arms were pulsating. The child was strapped down and seemed so helpless now. It was making me sick to watch this abuse.

I was about to leave the room when they hit the switch for a second time. The screaming only intensified, becoming louder and more violent. The child was screaming for his life, for his father, his mother, to God to help him get off that table and make all it all stop.

I looked over to nurse Holland, who was beginning to cry and panic for the child’s safety. At this point, Richard soiled his pants and urinated on the table. Then his eyes looked as though they were lit up, perhaps from the electricity. His eyes glowed and started to bleed. He threw up, chocking on his vomit, and white foam began to run from his mouth. Unable to scream any longer, little Richard went still.

It seemed to me the doctors were enjoying this. I wanted to call the police.

“One more time,” Dr. Bender said, not giving the child a moment to rest or clear out his mouth. At this point, Richard looked as though he had passed out.

Yet they hit the switch yet again… and something terrifying happened….

The Creeper appears

The radiator in the treatment room began to clang and clang, as though it was being struck with a hammer. Crows were flying into the window, as if they were tying to break the glass, then started piling up on the outside window ledge. The sounds from the radiator and crows become louder and louder. From the northeast corner of the ceiling, a black haze started dripping down to the ground.

It was not actually touching the ground, however; instead, it collected a few inches off the floor.

The smell of burnt flesh, sulfur and rotten eggs filled the room. This thing started growing in size, and within seconds it was about nine feet high — a solid black mist. It started taking on the shape of having only a head and shoulder area, then it broke that form, floated with what looked like black and gray spider webs draping behind the mist as it moved over and shrouded the child like a big black blanket.

We all heard the grumbling, a terrifying, very deep tone, a broken static like voice, saying, “Get out. Get out. Go from the child leave him now.”

Not one of us was able to move a muscle. We were unable to see the child through the black mist, but we were definitely seeing, smelling, and hearing this thing before us. I was thinking, What if it that thing somehow consumes the child right before us? Talk abut a lawsuit!

The glass beakers begin to fly off the shelves crashing into the walls. Books, papers, anything not glued down began to fly around the room. Nurse Holland, hit in the face with flying glass, fainted to the floor. We all took off running out of the room — all of us, and I am not proud of myself for leaving that woman on the floor.

Two of us went back within minutes with a gurney for nurse Holland. I grabbed a camera and was able to take a snapshot of the entity now standing in the doorway to the room. The entity then vanished from the room faster than it appeared.

After tending to nurse Holland, we all ending up in the chapel talking and trying to pull ourselves together.

Nurse Holland was fine, just a few cuts and scrapes. She said to the Doctors, “I want to go get little Richard off the table, take him to his room, get him showered and cleaned up and tended to.”

She was ordered by the Doctor, “You leave that freak right where he is.” That was something that none of us in that room can really ever explain. Things worsened healthwise for some of us. A few died shortly after. Some quit and moved out of Kentucky altogether, heading in different directions with their lives.

I hear that the picture I took of the entity after all these years ended up in the possession of the child Richard.

A manifestation of pain and suffering

I believe that little child’s pain and suffering that morning somehow brought about the manifestation of the entity that many now call The Creeper in front of five people inside the Wood Haven. It was clear to us all standing in that room that morning that the entity was without a doubt protecting Richard from his abusers.

To tell the truth, I was glad for that. However, all involved paid dearly for their part in the torment, abuse and sufferings they heaped upon the child. I have gone on and lived a full, long life, as did nurse Holland. And I feel that nurse Holland and I, being the only ones in our hearts against this abuse, fared well.

Criticisms have continued concerning these accounts. A lot of focus was placed on those who were there and viewed this entity through our own eyes. However, the doctors and professors of parapsychology know better, and stand firmly behind the poltergeist event, as do I. God Bless Shadow Eyes.


About Andrew

Co-founder & lead investigator of Paranormal Encounters. I've experienced the paranormal all my life, having encountered ghosts, angels and demons. I live in a haunted house and when not exploring and researching the unknown, I enjoy single malt Scotch whisky & potato chips (though not necessarily at the same time).