The Spirits Of Rome!

Rome’s Ghosts – a different ‘Rome by night’ experience…

One may expect that due to Rome’s millenary heritage, when the shadows of the night spread over the Eternal City, crowds of ghosts of emperors, popes, artists, saints, warlords, come out and haunt its streets and squares.
But nowadays the silence of the historical districts after dark is broken by the thosands of youngsters that hang around till dawn, and their roaring cars and dazzling scooters would probably scare these ghosts to death.
Nevertheless, Rome too can boast a few mysterious presences, whose stories are tightly bound to the city’s own history and traditions. The real odd thing is that all these personages are female.

Rome’s most famous ghost is that of a young lady who belonged to one of the powerful noble families of the late Renaissance. She is said to appear on the night between September 10 and 11, along the bridge that leads to Sant’Angelo Castle.
Her story inspired paintings (G.Reni), tragedies (P.B.Shelley) and novels (A.Dumas, Stendhal).

Beatrice was the son of Francesco Cenci, an aristocrat who, due to his violent temper and immoral behaviour, had found himself in trouble with the papal justice more than once. In Rome, they lived in a mid 16th century mansion in Regola district, built over the ruins of a previous medieval fortified palace.
Together with them lived also Beatrice’s elder brother Giacomo, Francesco’s second wife Lucrezia Petroni, and Bernardo, the young boy born after the man’s second marriage. Among their other possessions was a castle in Petrella Salto, a small village near Rieti, north of Rome.
Even at home Francesco Cenci behaved as a brute. He abused his wife and his sons, and had reached the point of committing incest with Beatrice.
He had been jailed for other crimes, but thanks to the leniency which the nobles were treated with, he had been freed too soon. The girl had tried to inform the authorities about the frequent mistreatments, but nothing had happened, although everybody in Rome knew what kind of person Francesco Cenci was. When he found out that his daughter had reported against him, he sent Beatrice and Lucrezia away from Rome, to live in the family’s country castle.
 

Exasperated by his attitude, the four Cenci had no better choice than to try and get rid of Francesco, and all together they organized a plot.
In 1598, during one of Francesco’s stays at the castle, two vassals (one of which had become Beatrice’s secret lover) helped them to drug the man, stab him with a long nail through his eye and his throat, and hide the corpse.
But somehow his absence was noticed, and the papal police tried to find out what had happened. Beatrice’s lover was tortured, and died without revealing the truth. Meanwhile a family friend, who was aware of the murder, ordered the killing of the second vassal, to avoid any risk.
The plot was discovered all the same, and the four members of the Cenci family were arrested, found guilty, and sentenced to death.

Palazzo Cenci
The Roman people, knowing the reasons of the murder, uprose against the tribunal’s decision, obtaining a short postponement of the execution. But pope Clement VIII was not at all clement, so on September 11, 1599, at dawn, all four members of the family were taken to Sant’Angelo Bridge, where the scaffold for public executions used to be built. They set off from the two prisons of Corte Savella (where the two women were held) and Tordinona (where the two brothers had been sent), both ill-famed and feared because of the inhumane treatment received by the convicts. In via di Monserrato, on the ancient site of the Corte Savella prison, now no longer extant, in 1999 Rome’s Council hung a commemorative plaque that says:

FROM HERE
WHERE CORTE SAVELLA PRISON STOOD
ON SEPTEMBER 11, 1599
BEATRICE CENCI
LEFT, HEADING TO THE SCAFFOLD,
AN EXEMPLARY VICTIM OF AN UNFAIR JUSTICE

 
Sant’Angelo Bridge, where Beatrice’s ghost is said to appear Along the way to the scaffold, Giacomo was tortured with hot pincers. When they reached the site of the execution, Lucrezia (who had already fainted) was beheaded with a sword. Then Beatrice took her turn on the block.
Finally, Giacomo received a blow in the head with a mallet, which likely killed him; but then the same instrument was used to quarter him: his limbs were torn off and hung in the four corners of the scaffold, where they remained on display for the whole day.
Only the young boy was spared, yet he too was led to the site of the execution, to witness the fate of his relatives, before being returned to prison and having his properties confiscated (and given to the pope’s own family!).
Beatrice was buried in the church of San Pietro in Montorio.

For the people of Rome she became a symbol of resistance against the arrogant aristocracy, what still today, on the eve of the date of her execution, brings back to the bridge her ghost, carrying her severed head with her hands.
The tragic story of Beatrice had a further sad epilogue, which undoubtly fostered this legend, as even after her death she did not rest in peace. In 1798, Rome had just been occupied by Napoleon’s troops, when some French soldiers stormed into the church of San Pietro in Montorio, smashed all the tombs, including Beatrice’s own, scattered her remains, which were never retrieved, and – it is said – even played with her skull, tossing it in the air as a ball.
Pimpaccia, or Dame Olimpia (1592-1657)
Another famous roman ghost allegedly appears aboard a black carriage, that in the dead of night suddenly comes dashing along Sisto Bridge, heading towards Trastevere district.

The Pamphilj coat of arms Olimpia Maidalchini was born from a humble family in Viterbo (80 Km or 50 miles north of Rome); the young girl was very ambitious, cunning and also rather good-looking, all qualities that enabled her to become an excellent social climber.
Her first husband was a rich man, who died very soon. She was only twenty when she married again, and also this time her husband was some thirty years older than her. His name was Pamphilio Pamphilj, brother of the cardinal who a few years later was to become pope Innocent X. This time Olimpia had really made it.

When also her second husband died, Dame Olimpia’s power reached the paramount, as she exerted a strong influence upon his brother-in-law, soon becoming the only person whose advice the pope fully relied on. For this reason ambassadors, artists, tradesmen, politicians, and any important person in Rome presented her with rich gifts, to gain her favour and be well introduced to Innocent X.
Her urban dwelling was Palazzo Pamphilj, a large mansion at the southern end of piazza Navona, from where she practically ruled as a queen. The Pamphilj owned several other properties, among which a famous suburban villa, now a public park, located beyond the Vatican, in the outskirts of the 17th century Rome.
Dame Olimpia, bust by A.Algardi

Dame Olimpia knew that she was unpopular, but did not really care, since her great wealth and social position granted her anything she may have wished for, as long as his brother-in-law was the pope.

In 1655, only a few hours before Innocent’s death, realizing that without him she may have lost everything, she filled two cases with gold coins, loaded them on a carriage, and rushed away. She never returned to piazza Navona again. The people of Rome did not like Dame Olimpia at all, nor they were happy of being ruled by a woman who once was a commoner, and even came from a small town. They nicknamed her Pimpa or Pimpaccia, and wrote several jokes about her, regularly hung to the ‘talking statue’ of Pasquino, which by coincidence stands just round the corner of Palazzo Pamphilj. Even rumors that she and the pope may have been lovers were heard, probably only a gossip, but clearly indicating the people’s feelings about her.

Innocent’s successor, pope Alexander VII, exiled her in San Martino al Cimino (a small village just north of Rome); she was asked to give back the gold she had taken away, but Dame Olimpia refused. She died of plague two years later.
Her greed gave birth to the popular tradition according to which she appears on Sisto Bridge in her carriage, with her loot of coins; in fact, this bridge spans the Tiber along the shortest way from piazza Navona to her suburban residence, Villa Pamphilj.

Costanza Conti De Cupis (17th century)

the De Cupis coat of arms  Much more legendary is the story of a young woman from the noble Conti family, whose presence haunts a building near the aforesaid Palazzo Pamphilj.
In the early 1600s, after marrying the nephew of a cardinal, Costanza moved to Palazzo De Cupis, her husband’s family palace, in via dell’Anima, whose back ooks out upon piazza Navona, adjoining the church of Sant’Agnese in Agone.
She was a fine-looking woman, and was particolarly praised for the beauty of her hands, up to the point that an artist asked her to let him cast a mould with them: he made a model, that was kept on display in the artist’s workshop.
Everybody admired those beautiful hands. But one day somebody, after looking at them, foretold that the woman to whom they belonged may have lost them very soon.
The lady was informed of the bad omen, and this really shattered her.

Maybe due to such fears, one day, while sewing, she pricked her finger with the needle; this simple injury developed an infection, which rapidly spread. Nothing could be done, and the no longer beautiful hand, now swollen and covered with sores, had to be amputated. But alas, not even this drastic measure was enough to save Costanza’s life: soon after, she died of the same infection.
It is said that ever since, when the moon shines on the windows of her house, the light reflecting on the glass reveals the shape of a pale hand, that can be seen from the square below.
piazza Navona, with Palazzo De Cupis in the background

For the sake of completeness, some more scary presences and apparitions have been reported also in the past.

By ancient tradition, the area just outside Porta del Popolo, the northernmost among the city gates, once called Porta Flaminia, acted as a burial place graveyard for prostitutes, atheists and prisoners who had refused to repent before being executed, as all of them were refused final rest on sacred ground, i.e. inside a church or within its premises (a custom that lasted up to the 19th century!).
Due to its nature of ‘infamous graveyard’, in the Middle Ages this area was known to be haunted by the ghost of Nero, commonly believed to be the most wicked among ancient Rome’s emperors. Actually, on one side of the gate once stood the large tomb of the Domitii Ahenobarbi family, where the famous emperor was in fact buried, being himself a member of that clan.
The present church of Santa Maria del Popolo was first built in 1099, in the shape of a small chapel, on the site of the aforesaid tomb, with the purpose of driving the ghost away from this spot. This apparently worked well, not having Nero’s evil presence been reported ever since.
Inside the church, rebuilt and refurbished over the centuries, a large number of skulls and skeletons in the most diverse fashions decorate the local tombs and chapels (the most famous ones are shown on the left). These figures, together with the legend, indeed contribute to maintain a halo of mistery that still today surrounds Santa Maria del Popolo.   
many images of death are found in Santa Maria del Popolo’s church

Apparitions of Nero’s wrestless ghost were also allegedly reported by Salario Bridge, across the Aniene river (today in the northern part of Rome, once 7 km / 4 mi from the city), as nearby stood the villa of the freedman Epaphroditos, who aided the emperor in killing himself there.

Among the stories whose memory is still lingering, in the 1930s, in a villa not far from St.John in the Lateran, the owner saw and heard on several occasions groups of nuns who, passing by the windows of the house, left the glass steamed, and even traced on it human figures.
Further back in time, in 1861, on the third floor of a building in via del Governo Vecchio 57 (again, very close to piazza Navona!) strange phenomena that today would be labelled as Poltergeist, such as loud thuds and other noises, objects that flew in the air and smashed against the walls, scared a couple named Tromba who lived in the apartment for some time, until they decided to quit the house. The strange facts were reported also by reliable witnesses, among whom some police officers.

Other mysterious traces, such as prints of hands, signs of crosses, etc. left by the ghosts of holy personages on garments, prayer books, banknotes, mostly dating to the 18th-19th centuries, have even been collected in the smallest and weirdest gallery in the world, called Museum of the Purgatory Souls, housed in a single room by the Sacro Cuore del Suffragio church.

Source: http://roma.andreapollett.com/S2/roma-c19.htm

About Andrew

Co-founder & lead investigator of Paranormal Encounters. I've experienced the paranormal all my life, having encountered ghosts, angels and demons. I live in a haunted house and when not exploring and researching the unknown, I enjoy single malt Scotch whisky & potato chips (though not necessarily at the same time).